Saturday, April 9, 2011

Midland's Brad Barnes ends MMA career with win



Ruben Ochoa
Midland Reporter-Telegram

In front of a hometown crowd, Midland's Brad Barnes ended his Mixed Martial Arts' cage fighting career exactly the way he wanted -- with a win.

Barnes beat Matt Holland with an armbar submission of Matt Holland at the 2:45 mark of the first round at the Horseshoe Arena on Friday night.

"No better way to go out than in front of the hometown. Everybody says I want to see you but not everybody can travel," Barnes said. "I'm glad to go out with a win, most don't go out with a win. Chuck Liddell didn't go out with a win."

Barnes added that even though he's still young enough to compete he's still competed for a long time and has seen plenty of changes in the sport during that time.

"I'm 29, it's not that old but I've been doing it for 10 years," Barnes said. "Back then, I told people I was doing cage fighting and most people thought it was WWF."

He also added that this is definitely his final match unless a dream match came up against somebody he grew up idolizing.

"I will not fight MMA again," Barnes said. "I would only fight if a long shot match with somebody I grew up watching like Ken Shamrock came up, but that's probably a long shot.

In Friday's other fights, Seminole's Luis Luna won a decision, 30-27, 29-28, 29-28 over Cody Pfister.

Former Midland Christian football player Clay Hantz defeated Edwynn Jones with a rear-naked choke at 2:22 of the first round.

Russell Brewer delivered an impressive knockout in five seconds to start the event.

Friday's results

William Campuzano def. Randy Hinds with a rear-naked choke at 2:28 of the first round.

George Picariu def. (?) with arm-bar in 2nd Rnd.

Daniel Almeida def. James Gray with a Kamura submission at 54 seconds of the first round.

Matt Hobar def. Dusty Mason at TKO (referee stoppage) at 53 seconds of the first round.

Russell Brewer def. Chris Golden by KO at 5 seconds of the first round.

Brad Barnes def. Matt Holland by armbar submission at 2:45 of the first round.

Clay Hantz def. Edwynn Jones by rear-naked choke at 2:22 of the first round.

Luis Luna def. Cody Pfister by decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28).

Chase Watson def. Alejandro Siller by DQ (knee to head).

1 comment:

  1. Hi......I have always said that I want to finish my career with the Dolphins and this put me closer to that goal. I have been fortunate to break many personal records, but my overiding goal is to win a Super Bowl here in Miami.mma Midlands

    ReplyDelete